Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Chapter 4 Squabbles & Tittle Tattle About An Ironing Board Cover


It’s hard to believe, isn’t it? Couples squabbling over an ironing board cover. And what can there be to gossip about?

Read on because we have the stories.

A telephone call at 6:00am one crisp morning takes us by surprise. It’s an order for an ironing board cover!

What a relief. We were sure someone had died!!

The caller is apologetic and explains he’s a forestry worker on his way to work. He needs the cover urgently and wants to make sure we post it that day so he gets it the next day. He isn’t far away. Just the other side of Bathurst NSW.

I do some market research when I take an order. Simple questions like:- Are you a new customer or an existing customer?

His answer? I’m both!

He sheepishly explains his predicament. He and his wife are separated. His wife took their Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover with her and left him the ironing board and the ‘tattiest cover I’ve ever seen’. He bought a supermarket cover and can’t iron on it. It never stays still. Always jumps around.

He went further. To tell you the truth, my wife and I don’t speak. But I want your cover so badly, I swallowed my pride and rang her to get your telephone number so I could order one.

I’ve seen forestry workers and they’re not known for their sartorial elegance!

Why does he need a really good cover like The Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover? And why does he need one by tomorrow?

With a little prodding (I’ve got to be quick:- he’s on his way to work), I discover he has a new woman in his life. He sees her almost every night and he wants to show her his best side – which is his well ironed side! Tomorrow’s Friday and on Saturday they’re going to a wedding and he needs to iron his best suit to perfection.

Lucky me. And lucky him for finding a woman he wants to please!

Every April the Bathurst Show Society stages the Royal Bathurst Agricultural Show. When we exhibited there in 2000, a previous customer purchased a cover to replace the one she bought 3 years before. We chit chatted like old friends, caught up on the latest news, and then she was off.

In July that year, she came to our exhibit at The Mudgee Field Days. She tapped her well manicured nails on our ironing board and said she needed another cover, plus felt underlay, plus pressing cloth. The whole set.

While packing it up, I asked her who she was giving this to, as I assumed it must be a gift.

It’s for me, she said. My husband left me suddenly and when my back was turned, came back and took your ironing board cover off my board and took it with him!

I’ve fixed him, though, she says. I changed the locks on my house and won’t give him the remainder of his prized CD collection. It’s now part of the divorce settlement he has to negotiate!!

Samantha and Regina flatted together for quite some time. Their mother, Margaret, is a customer of many years. She bought them a cover as a present when they first moved in together.

Samantha fell in love and moved in with her boyfriend. But wanted to take their Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover with her. Regina flatly refused. Margaret says they resolved the stalemate by flipping a coin. Heads, Samantha takes the cover with her, tails Regina gets to keep it.

Regina won. And Samantha’s boyfriend bought her a new cover as a surprise present!

Then there are the couples who both iron, but don’t like the other partner ironing for them. They bicker over each other’s ironing techniques. They have separate boards and buy their covers in their favourite, albeit different, colours.

A butler in the wealthy eastern suburbs of Sydney is a continuing source of referrals for us. His referrals are always unexpected and their stories colourful.

When I recently asked a new customer how he found out about us, I was given this answer.

"I was at a dinner party in Bellevue Hill and the subject turned to ironing. (Can you believe this? Super wealthy business moguls and their wives chit chatting about an ironing board cover!) Everyone at the table complained about ironing board covers never fitting properly or staying put. Including my wife.

Although my wife has an ironing lady, she does her own last minute touch ups. She’s always so grumpy at the ironing board, I told everyone I have to leave ‘the area’ so I don’t become a target for her bad mood as well.

As I was leaving the dinner party, the butler took me aside, gave me your telephone number and details and told me I’ll never regret this purchase. He assured me my wife will be a different woman at the ironing board from now on."

No matter who you are, it’s the day to day little things in life that really annoy you. It’s also the simple solutions that make your life happier and less stressed.

The Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover is a simple solution to a difficult problem.

It’s also an accidental business. And growing. There are now more than 75,000 covers in use around the world and increasing daily. And all our covers are made with love and care in rural Australia by men and women who have a disability.

To learn more about The Fitz Like A Glove™ Ironing Board Cover, visit our website at http://www.interfaceaustralia.com.

And there are more stories to come!

The bikies who storm our front gate to buy a cover.
A news article in the Sydney Morning Herald blows up our fax machine.
It’s 4AM and America is calling.
The retail world has a deaf ear.

It’s always a pleasure to hear from you and I hope you’ll share your stories with me.

Take care,

CAROL


View CAROL JONES's profile on LinkedIn

No comments: